Monday, June 30, 2008

One year is cause for celebration


I finished re-reading a friend's post on a wedding she attended and her feelings regarding her decision to have a civil ceremony. I thought about the realness she spoke of that exists after the newness fades. I have often thought about having a 10 year vow renewal - something simple - perhaps beach front with just a few friends and family. Thinking on this stirs up a bit of excitement but I know more importantly that I need to focus on my "now" success.

I have only been married three years but in that short time I realize that every year of marriage that my husband and I complete is cause for celebration and REAL reflection. I don't mean the traditional anniversary gift and night out together but taking some time and appreciating the fact that "we made it" another year. I heard that one celebrity couple renews their vows every year to put them in remembrance of the commitment they made. They do it with no one looking on and then have a celebration with their family and friends. The core of that struck me. You don't need to wait for a 10 or 25 year mark to renew your vows. You need to keep yourself in remembrance as often as possible. Celebrate each year of success (just the two of you). On that special day, think about: what we can do better this year, what new goals we have and simply let the other know how much we appreciate them.

Maybe most of you do this but speaking for myself, I want to look at my anniversary in a different light. I want to make that ten year mark a celebration of 10 years of celebrating life together.

4 comments:

The Original Wombman said...

Sista, I never knew how much work went into building a strong and happy marriage. Every day, you have to consciously put in the effort. I'm so grateful for every day, month, year we make it--it ain't easy. It is a testament and a blessing--a true cause for celebration for which I give thanks! :)

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!!

This is truly a wonderful piece!

Please feel welcome to stop by my blog and share whenever you'd like! I am sure there are some stimulating conversations where your wisdom would add tremendous value!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

I am the sum of my parts said...

Chi-Chi, every day does require work. I look forward to the good times and learn from the harder ones. Life is a blessing and I plan to make the most of it!

I am the sum of my parts said...

Hey Lisa, I am happy that you enjoyed this post. I will definitely stop by your blog and spread some love.

Blessings Always,
Amoi